Friday, November 28, 2008

Lessons Learned

I want to be a journalist to fight for the oppressed and make the world a better place. Things seemed to be going as planned, but this week I made a mistake that may cost a worker his job.

The workers were housed at the edge of the AUC campus earlier this semester, but they were moved to a new camp last month. One of the workers took pictures of the camp on his camera phone, and brought the issue to the Caravan newsroom.

The company has them in small rooms with no furniture, and make-shift walls. There is a bucket at the corner of the room that is their bathroom. There are about 36 people in each of these small compartments.

Reham and I planned to the camp to take pictures, get interviews and find out why these men were living in such conditions. Unfortunately for us, we weren't able to make it out to the buses on time, and so couldn't find the camp. We asked our contact what we should do and he didn't have any suggestions.

I came up with what I thought was the greatest idea ever. Why not buy a disposable camera, and have the workers take the pictures themselves? I asked the supervisor if the men were checked before they went to the camp, and he said no. I asked if it would be dangerous, and he said no.

So I bought a camera and I gave it to him. The next day Reham called me, and told me the camera had been found by security and they were accusing the worker with the camera of theft.

We then called our staff adviser for assistance, something we should have done before handing the camera over. Understandably he was not happy with the situation. You can't have someone else do your work, he told me. If you can't get into a restricted area, you can't get in.

At first I pushed back. I didn't understand the concept. I didn't plant the camera on him without his consent. He knew what he was getting himself into. However, I've spent all day thinking about it, and it actually makes perfect sense.

I am a journalist. I've chosen as a profession, and I understand that it involves taking risks at times. If I get caught, or get in an trouble because of my reporting, I will have the backing of my organization or network (as long as I keep them in the loop). However, what I did with that worker was put a burden on his shoulders that he has no protection from. He has no network, no editor and no university behind him. To his employer he's just a worker, a dispensable worker at that. To put my job in his hands was irresponsible and shortsighted.

Tomorrow I am heading over to the university to try to talk to Samsung, and see if I can rectify my mistake. I am pessimistic about our chances of getting his job back, but will be doing everything in my power to assist him.

So all in all two lessons learned:
1. Always keep your editor up to date on your reporting
2. NEVER EVER give someone else a camera or mic and say "go report on this"

I'll keep you posted on the status of the worker.

1 comment:

Kushite said...

that's sad!
dont blame yourself for it, you acted on your instincts plus, you didn what alot of people would do.
it's a shame that they are living in such depressing conditions and we need to get their voice heard too.
I want to work in the field of human rights as well actually:)