Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bad luck streak broken (Lessons Learned Pt. 2)

This semester has been difficult on everyone. I've dealt with accidents and flooding apartments on top of everything else. But today that changed, and I got the break I have been waiting for.

This morning I woke up determined to find a way to help our man. Yet, I waked onto campus with an anxious step, worried at what I might have done.

Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised.

Our worker in distress had been cleared. He filed a formal statement this morning saying the camera was his. The authorities warned him that if a camera was reported stolen, he would be responsible. He agreed, and was let go.

His supervisor met with us to tell us the good news.

"He's fine and will not be facing charges," he said.

Then he pulled out the camera, with about 20 pictures of the camp. Our mission has succeeded, our man is off the hook and we have exclusive pictures. It all worked out in the end.


But I haven't forgotten my two lessons learned.

1 comment:

jasmin said...

The lessons of Egypt's media world. Who would have known? And how come nobody really taught us in media ethics that giving someone a camera for inside footage is wrong? In retrospect, I understand. He could've easily staged a situation and taken a picture. Still, don't agencies hire freelance photographers? Why can't a worker theoretically be a freelance photographer?